AdSense Page Ads

Tuesday, January 31, 2017

Human Again

This afternoon I felt loved and cared about. I felt like I am a princess and my knights in shining armors come to rescue me. Well, they are giving me tax advices. If you live in US it's the same thing, really. Nevertheless, I can't help feeling "Wow". I mean, just wow.

Amidst the fear and anger and ignorance swirling around us these days, it's easy to forget and be thankful for what we have. Negative feelings sway us more than positive ones, that much is true. Fear and anger clouded our judgment, blinded us. Keeping hope in this condition is as easy as keeping yourself dry amidst the California storms: it just doesn't seem to work. To be honest, reading through my Facebook page sounds like people are screaming "Apocalypse's here!!!"

And you know what? Let it come. I have grown so weary of all the ignorance and baseless anger and hatred. I have grown so disgusted with egoism and the "Me, me, me!" attitude. I have grown so sick with the "I'm right and you are wrong" acts. The world is bursting on its seams, barriers and borders became less and less meaningful, yet we seemed to see the world even more narrow-minded than before. No more days of wonder. And how could be when we opt to see what we want to see? When facts are mere decoration for clickbait articles and us masturbating to our own ego?

With every click and share I've seen people turned into this hideous monster that glee itself with fear and anger and vileness it consumed, and in turn, regurgitate them back to the realm, making the realm filthier than before. I have my foot in US and my root in Indonesia, both countries churned out the same monsters. I have no doubt other countries have the same issue as well. The loudest of all are the ones with bad news, and they are the ones who then cause bigger panic. And oftentimes it's not even based on facts. It would take about 5-10 min to Google the facts and make an educated decision to read only from official accounts. Not that many people bother to do so. We're in a moshing pit, ladies and gents, let's rumble.

Then why are we even bother to be here? If every good thought, every good advice, every call for peace fall on deaf ear, why don't we just let ourselves drowned in the negativity? Let's face it, we're all going to die anyway. The world is crumbling. Climate change is on us and by God does Nature lashed back. Darkness is descending. If this is a Peter Jackson movie this will be like the last 1/3-1/4 of the movie where the climax promisingly hung in the air, only to be continued in the next installment. If everyone is so intent on hate, let's give them a show they won't forget. What else do we have to lose?

The tax advices. Well, not so much as the tax advice as the genuine concern and caring behind the advice. The feeling that you are safe, that somebody got your back. The feeling that you actually meant something to somebody, that you are not just a face in the crowd. Life's simple pleasure that we could lose forever in our blindness. The break of dawn. The big full moon. Kisses and hugs. Laughter and smiles. The taste of chocolate. The savory roast meat. The sweet fruit juice that dripped on your chin when you took a bite of a piece of fresh fruit. Saying "Good night" to somebody. Saying "Take care". Saying "I love you" over and over and over again.

When everybody is so intent on the immigration ban and restrictions, about the pipeline that goes through Native American's land, I can't help but ask: what will happen afterward? How can we possibly make them human again? I thought about the middle-eastern immigrants that are already here. I thought about the undocumented farm workers laboring under the sun.  I thought about the notorious food desert around the Reservations. Trump's executive orders bring out the ugly truth: there are so many people out there that need help. Not just legal assistance or basic necessities like food and shelter, but also love. Also acceptance.

You might argue that bringing the refugees to safety (a.k.a US soil) is the priority. That ensuring the illegal immigrants are humanely protected is the priority. That the rights of Native Americans and the safety of environment is the priority. They are. But so does their feelings. They are more than just the current hot topic. Be honest and look ahead in 5 more years, nay, 5 more months, and see if you still care. See if you still championed refugee's rights or will you championed another hot topic. Once the refugee settled here, they'll need help to adapt. Once the undocumented immigrant is protected, they'll need help to become legal. Once the pipeline is stopped, they'll need help to educate their people. Will you be there for them?

This is not to say that you shouldn't care for them. On the contrary, this is a very good opportunity to understand dafuq is wrong with this world and try to fix it. Feeling safe is one of the most basic human rights, and so does acceptance. What can we do to provide this for our fellow human around the world? They are more than just 'refugees'. They are the foreign faces you might see in your neighborhood, that look so out of place and timid. They are more than just 'undocumented immigrants'. They are the mamas with their babies and the hardworking people whom you see come home at night. They are more than just 'Native Americans'. There are many of them in the reservations where fresh healthy food is scarce and the bottle is a form of entertainment. What can, what will you do for them?

Or, to be even more basic: what have you done to the world. Protesting is fine and dandy, but have you smiled today? Have you look at someone less fortunate than you and think, "I'll probably gonna buy her a cup of coffee"? Have you chat and smile with your parking attendance, with your cashier or bag boys, or with anybody else along the day? Have you said sorry and thank you to your customer service because you know she/he's only there to take the rant and what actually happened to your package is not their fault? Have you helped somebody with bus route or destination? Have you, in short, make somebody feel human again?

The love, caring, and protection I have made me human. And it feels good. It feels so damn good. Where before I lost myself in the swirling maddening negativity, I suddenly can see and found myself again. It was wonderful. It was victorious. It was nothing less than anybody deserve. And I want to share it with the world. I want to make everyone feel human again. I want people to know they are safe, they are loved, they are cared for. This is but a wishful thinking, as the world is big and I am just a person. But I can do that to others near me. And other people can do that to others near them. Wouldn't it be an awesome chain reaction? When acceptance and kindness are the norms, there is no room for anger and hatred.

My refugee siblings, my undocumented immigrant friends, my Native American family, you are in my thoughts and I strive for a better world for all of you. For all of us. The road is long and treacherous, but with every smile and every acceptance we set the brick to make a strong establishment, the true people's power. We need more than just superficial heart melt or knee-jerk reaction, we need dedication and a big heart to boost. We'll get there though, we'll get there. Those who are hungry and weak, the tired and the poor, the huddled masses yearning to breathe free, and the wretched refuse, wait for us. We'll be there for you. You are not alone. You are human too. We'll be there.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Search This Blog